10 things you must know before you claim points for your Overseas or Australian Qualifications in PR application
International Students hailing from numerous corners of the world find Australia a very attractive country to settle in. Australia withholds great features that allure the migrants from all over the world such as stable and open economy, attractive career choices and compensation, highly rated infrastructure, multicultural society and rather unmissable landscapes. In addition, Australia offers an impressive life style that many international students aspire to achieve.
The some of the main advantages of Australian Study from International student’s perspective are given below:
- Extra Points:Students can receive extra points for their studies:
- 5 points for meeting the 2 year study requirement
- 5 additional points if they complete 2 years of study in a regional area
- 5 additional points for completing a professional year in Australia
- Graduate Temporary Visa:Students may be eligible to apply for a Graduate Temporary Subclass 485 visa. This visa can last between 18 months and 4 years depending on the type of qualification completed, has full work rights can enable students to accumulate further points for working in Australia.
- Recognised Qualifications:Australian qualifications are more likely to be recognised for the purposes of skills assessment which is a requirement for applying for Skilled Migration.
AQL (Australian Education level)
|Qualification||Duration||Description||Entry Level||Institution Type||AQF Level|
|PhD (Doctor of Philosophy)||3 years||Research qualification requiring major thesis||Bachelor Degree||University||10|
|Juris Doctorate||2-3 years||Coursework qualification||Bachelor Degree||University||7|
|Masters by Research||2 years||Research qualification requiring major thesis||Bachelor Degree||University||9|
|Masters by Coursework –||18 months to 2 years||Coursework qualification||Bachelor Degree||University||9|
|Graduate Diploma –||1 year||Coursework qualification||Bachelor Degree||University||8|
|Graduate Certificate –||0 year||Coursework qualification||Bachelor Degree||University||8|
|Bachelor (Honours) Degree||1 year||Usually requires an additional year after bachelors||Bachelor Degree||University||8|
|Bachelor Degree –||3-5 years||First university qualification||Year 12 High School||University||7|
|Associate Degree –||2 years||Usually studies towards completion of bachelor degree||Year 12 High School||University||6|
|Advanced Diploma –||2-2.5 years||Usually requires additional semester after diploma||Year 10 High School||College/TAFE||6|
|Diploma –||2 years||2 year non-university qualification||Year 10 High School||College/TAFE||5|
|Trade Certificate (AQF Certificate III or higher) –||1 year||generally takes at least 1 year of study||Year 10 High School||College/TAFE||4|
|Trade Apprenticeship –||4 years||generally, includes classroom studies and on-the job training||Year 10 High School||College/TAFE||4|
|AQF Certificate II or lower||Less than a year||n/a||Year 0 High School||College/TAFE||2|
Australian Study Requirement
The main requirements in meeting the 2 year “Australian Study Requirement” are as follows:
- Type of Qualification:You must complete a degree, diploma or trade qualification. Masters, graduate diplomas and PhDs are considered degrees and so may be counted towards the 2 year study requirement.
- CRICOS registration:The courses completed must be on the approved list of courses for international students (CRICOS). There can be issues if your course or educational institution is deregistered prior to completion of your studies.
- Two Academic Years:this is defined as being at least 92 weeks according to the CRICOS registration of the courses.
- 16 Month Duration:the course must take at least 16 months of study in Australia from the beginning of the course till completion.
- English Medium:All instruction must be in English. There can be issues with this requirement in the case of translation/interpreting qualifications.
- Compliance with Visa Conditions:Study must be in compliance with visa conditions to count towards the 2-year study requirement. This will not in general be an issue if you are studying in Australia on a student visa but could be an issue if you are studying on a visa with restricted study rights.
Courses that can lead to permanent residency in Australia Under Skilled Migration Visa
International student should consider the factors related to the study which they are going to apply for. These factors may include the course preference, career growth opportunity, perspective course demand against global employability. After considering all these key factors from our expertise, here is the list of some sought-after courses with strong PR prospects:
- Nursing and medical courses
- Education and teaching
- Information & Communication Technology (ICT)
- Trade Jobs
- Medical Study
To conclude, Australian Education Qualification opens the door to the immense career-oriented employment opportunity on Global platform. However, before considering any course one should thoroughly research the area of interest for study and the open career perspective. Australian study can also provide the path to the longer- stay visas in Australia.
If you are considering to migrating in Australia, let us help you with the process to make it even smoother for you with the expertise we have in Australian Migration services.