What are the Points-Test Requirements for Australian Migration?
Australia is considered as one of the top nations to open the doors for skilled Labor force. The immigration process of Australian government is crafted in a way that it attracts migrants who possess outstanding skills and technical abilities which will contribute to the Australian economy and skilled Labor sector to constantly thriving the national growth.
The eligibility criteria for skilled workers to migrate to Australia is one of the most organised one among the top migrant countries, and it is determined by the SkillSelect system.
A SkillSelect system is point-based under which applicants are awarded points for criteria ranging from age to work experience.
Applicants are required to score a minimum point for them to apply for Application.
The Points Test awards points for:
- English Language Ability;
- Skilled Employment;
- Educational Qualifications;
- Australian Study Requirements;
- Credentialed Community Language Qualifications;
- Study in Regional Australia
- Partner Skill Qualifications;
- Professional Year in Australia;
- Nomination by State or Territory Government (visa subclass 190 only); and
- Nomination by State or Territory Government or Sponsorship by an Eligible Family Member (visa subclass 490 only).
1. Age Max Points – 30
Apply ASAP before your age out, because nobody wants old Man force.
Check our blog on How many points do you get for your age in PR application? For more info.
2. English Language Max Points – 20
The required level of English depends on the visa subclass you are applying for in Skilled Migration. There are four (4) different levels of English Language Score which may be relevant:
- Superior English: 20 points
- Proficient English: 10 points
- Competent English: 0 points – Minimum threshold requirement for GSM
- Functional English: Minimum threshold requirement for GSM secondary
applicants GSM seeking to avoid paying the English Language
Check our blog on English Language Requirement for Australian Visas For more info.
3. Employment Max Points – 20
Points are awarded separately for skilled employment experience gained within Australia and elsewhere. Points from both tables can be combined, but the maximum total points award for skilled employment is 20 points.
Check our blog on Top Tips on how to claim Overseas and Australian employment points
for more info
4. Education Max Points – 20
|A Doctorate degree from an Australian educational institution or a Doctorate from another educational institution that is of a recognized standard (can be outside Australia).||20|
|A Bachelor (or Masters) degree from an Australian educational institution or a Bachelor (or Masters) qualification, from another educational institution that is of a recognized standard (can be outside Australia).||15|
|A diploma or trade qualification completed in Australia||10|
|An award or qualification recognized by the relevant assessing authority for your nominated skilled occupation.||10|
Extra Points: Students can receive extra points for their studies:
- 5 points for meeting the 2 year study requirement
- 5 additional points if they complete 2 years of study in a regional area
- 5 additional points for completing a professional year in Australia
Check our blog on 10 things you must know before you claim points for your Overseas or Australian Qualifications in PR application for more info.
5. Partner Skills Points Max Points – 5
To get Spouse skills 5 points added to your SkillSelect Expression of Interest, all these conditions should be met:
- Age should be less than 45 years.
- English Test Score should be at-least the ‘Competent‘ – basic score.
- Job Occupation code should be in the same occupation list as primary applicant list.
Use the calculator given above to calculate spouse skills points.
6. Other Points Max Points – 15
|Accredited in community language||5|
|Study in regional Australia or a low population growth metropolitan area that meets the Australian study requirement||5|
|Professional year in Australia||5|
|State Sponsorship (190 visa)||5|
Check our blog on How to Boost Migration Points Score with PY & NAATI for Australian PR? for more info.
It is great idea to take the point score test by applying all these relevant factors mentioned above to check your eligibility for the skilled migration to Australia, to make this process personalised for you, you can quickly calculate your point score by clicking on the link below
Free Online Visa Assessment at Immigration Hotspot, Australia.