Do you know there are different Work Rights attached to different courses in Australia?
International students in Australia have the benefit of working part time while studying their course. If you are a student visa holder, you and your family members accompanying you have the permission to work. Neither of you must not breach the visa conditions that apply on your student visa.
Some of the conditions that may apply to student visa holders are as follows
- Students can work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight during the term and unlimited hours when their course is not in session.
- Please note that students will NOT be able to work in Australian until the first official day of classes.
- Students are not permitted to work until they have commenced their course of study
- Work that is formally registered as part of the course is not included in the 40 hours per fortnight limitation.
- Students registered in masters by research or doctoral degree in Australia has no limit on the number of working hours.
- You must obtain a Tax file number to be able to work in Australia.
Apart from the 40 hours per fortnight work limit, students may take part in volunteer work outside of the 40 hours per fortnight work limit.
- Voluntary work should remain secondary to the student while the main purpose of his visit should be study in Australia.
- Work that is involved in the Voluntary would not otherwise be undertaken by an Australian resident
- No remuneration should be received in return for the activities as volunteer either in cash or other kind. The work should be genuinely voluntary for a non-profit organisation.
Family members who are accompanying the students also has the permission to work subjected to visa conditions.
- Family members accompanying Student must not start to work until the primary visa holder has commenced the course of study in Australia.
- Family members can always work up to 40 hours per fortnight unless the primary student visa holder course of study is commenced.
- Family members of students studying a master or doctorate degree can work unrestricted hours once the primary visa holder has started their course.